(This picture is a new one, taken in September 2013 so that’s why they don’t match up to the ones in the process of baking them. But these are what the Whoopie Pies look like.)
I really wanted to try and make whoopie pies! And I found a recipe from Brown Eyed Baker. Although, I did change a few things to adjust it to my liking. And I have to say I am so glad I did! These whoopie pies are soo yummy. They taste like pumpkin with a sweetness to them. My moms friends tried them and LOVED them! These are also fairly easy to make and they fill you up quickly! I hope you try it and LOVE it like I do!
Yield-13-16 Whoopie Pies
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
2 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
5-6 cups of powdered sugar
5 tablespoons of heavy cream
6 oz. of cream cheese
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
|1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using and electric mixer or stand mixer, mix together the butter and sugars.
2. Next, add in the egg, vegetable oil, and pumpkin puree. Make sure the mixture is well combined and is creamy.
3. Finally, add in the dry ingredients and vanilla extract into the bowl. Mix the dough untill it is creamy and looks like the picture above.
|4. Set a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
5. Scoop/ pipe the dough (piping the dough gives a smoother and fluffier look to the soft pumpkin cookies) by one tablespoon, and set them on the parchment paper. Make sure they are spaced evenly. I had to do this process about 3 times because this recipe makes 32 cookies.
|6. . Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes.
7. Once the cookies have finished baking, set them on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
8.Cheese Filling- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix all of the ingredients untill the frosting is thick and creamy like the picture above.
9. Assembling the Whoopie Pies- Place the cookies upside-down (so the flat part is facing up). Pipe the frosting onto the flat part of one cookie. Then place another cookie in top if it, so that the flat side is facing down. Press down slightly so the filling will spread to the edge of the cookies. Re-peat this process until you have 16 Whoopie Pies.
10. Place the Whoopie Pies into the refrigerator and ENJOY!